Wednesday, July 05, 2006

backup copies of dvd movies

I have several dvd movies that are copy protected but that I want to have backup copies of (which I believe is legal). I am running dapper dan kubuntu.
I went to google and searched for dvd movies backup linux and got several good articles on how to do this. I set apt source to include universal/multiverse and I downloaded all the dvd player applications and dvd copy applications and libraries.

Using vobcopy, dvdbacup, k9copy, gnomebaker, kb3, mkisofs -dvd-video (which uses growisofs from dvd_rw-tools library) I was able to make backup copies that worked (after a bit of trial and error).

I am sympethetic to the digital rights issues of dvd makers but I think I should be able to play my dvd's on any device and that I should be able to make backup copies since I read that the life span of a dvd can be as small as 2 years. To my mind, the issue is the same as making backup copies of anything else that is important and /or costs a lot to replace. It is depressing how much effort is involved, because of fears of unlawfull copying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home