Sunday, March 26, 2006

install a linux live cd to a hard drive

I have installed several linux live cd's to hard drives. Some of these have been knoppix, pupply linux, damn small linux, and easymepis. In each case I found that the install took a very short time (10 to 20 minutes) and that I had ended up with a fully functioning system. Usually, I then added additional software to the system with whatever pacage manager facility was included.

Sonce these live cd installs basically copy an image to a hard drive, rather than install each application as is the case with the typical install of a major distribution, the time needed for the install is short. If one is reasonably happy with the live cd, then it makes a lot of sence to just install it to a hard drive rather than spend the couple of hours installing one of the full featured distros. If one also has a high speed internet connection, then updating via apt/synaptic or whatever package manager is available is a snap and shouldn't take much time. On my laptop, after I installed easymepis, I spent another few minutes installing a few games that I liked and I was done. All the packages I like to use were included in the live cd.

The typical livecd (especially thoes that are knoppix based) has qtparted available to resize a ntfs partition as well as doiing the usual partion setup and format functions. Most have an install script (e.g. knoppix-installer in knoppix) that will set up the user account and passwords etc. and will install a boot loader in the mbr or in the root partion. I have found that these scripts are easy to understand and use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home