Monday, October 31, 2005

Home Network

Over the past few days I have done some maintenace and reconfiguring of my home network. On the Window side I have set things up so that my wife, from her laptop, can access the desktop printer and her desktop based data that reside. THe lap top is wireless and I am using a dlink wireless router and it all was easy to setup and works fine. Windows xp' my network places really works well - Microsoft has made this very easy to use.

I have several Linux boxes that I lilke to work on and decided it would be nice to access these environments from the laptop. I installed VNC viewer on the laptop and fired up vncserver on my Fedora and Puppy Linux machines. I now get the KDE (Fedora) and the Puppy Linux desktops on the laptop when I connect to the appropriate machine. The wireless lan uses 11g protocol at 54 mbs and this is fast enough that there is no annoying delay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home