Thursday, December 30, 2004

router

For the past two months I have been trying to set up my home network so that my fedora system would be a router that would let my mandrake system connect to the internet via dialup ppp through the fedora system. I wanted this so that the mandrake system could directly connect to the internet for updates and so forth. My mandrake system has a winmodem and I do not want to spend the $50 for a real modem for this system.

I have several books that describe how to set up a router and the moost complete set of instructions for a fedora system is in the fedora 2 bible. I carefully followed the instructions but I could not get the router functionality to work. When I was playing with webmin, I noticed that the routd daemon was not running so I turned it on and then the router functionality worked. In all the books I have, several specific to network administration, none made mention of the need to have routd running.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home