Sunday, November 21, 2004

installing knoppix on hard drive

I decided to put Linux on my spare hp 6740c computer. I have WIndows 98 on it and decided to make this a dual boot machine. I have had problems with Windows, I think because the mother board was replaced. THe most critical problem is that Windows does not see the network card. I know that the card works because I have used knoppix to transfer files over the network.

I first installed Fedora Core 3. I had problems with the video - apparently Fedora does not work well with the Intel 810 graphic chip on this motherboard. I tried to gety it working, but it was too much effort so I decided to install mandrake 10 on it. THis installed fine and the graphic worked, but it was not able to use the nic.

After a bit of thought I decided to install knoppix on this machine since I knew that knoppix worked and it has all the applications that I want. After I booted up using knoppix I ran the script knoppix-install and followed the prompts for partioning the hard drive and setting up the user account. Everything went well and the system installed without a problem. Once it was installed, all I had to do was add an entry into lilo.conf for the windows 98 system and reinstall lilo on the mbr. I then rebooted and tested everything and everything worked including the nic and win98.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home