Sunday, October 24, 2004

cd read/write device

A while back a swapped my read only cdreader for a cd read/write device. I have not had a need to actually burn a cd so I have not paid too much attention to it. Yesterday I was reviewing some system logs and noticed that there was a message that I was using a depricated driver for my cd devide, so I ran cdrecord --scanbus and got some messages that said that my device driver was 'malformed' for the device. I also ran k3b and it told me that my cd drive was not properly configured and that it would take a very long time to write a cd.

Today I did some research. I loaded up knoppix, using the 2.6 kernel, and checked system log messages and the output of cdrecord --scanbus and everything looked fine. This meant that my cd rw drive could be properly configured and work with Linux 2.6. This is a good use for knoppix type live cd's.

I then did some searches on the internet and found that all I had to do was put the perameter hdc=ide-sc on the kernel line of the grub (linux loader) menu file. I did this and all worked well.

What seems to have happened was that since I had a read only cd drive installed when I installed Fedora Core 2, that was how my system was setup. When I changed drives, the old setting remained since the new device checker, kudzu, comes into place only after the kernel is loaded. THe device driver, scsi emulation modules are laoded by the kernel as it is loaded which is before kudzu is executed. So I need to make the manual change to the loader file to pass, to thje kernel, the need to load the appropriate mondule for my cd drive. If I had had the cd read/write device installed when I installed my system this would not have been a problem since the setup software would have detected the drive and put the appropriate parameters into the grub file. It's this sort of thing that can drive someone crazy.

This again is another example of where Windows does better than Linux. Device detection and driver setup in Windows is a lot smoother than in Linux (although Linux has improved a lot over the past few years).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home