Monday, March 26, 2007

feisty fawn - xubuntu bug report

On Saturday I downloaded Feisty Fawn Xubuntu and tried it as a live cd. Everything worked well except for the sound. It has a very clean look and the new utilities look neat.

I tried a few things to get the sound working but I couldn't get it to work. I looked on the ubuntu forum and found that others had had the same problem and a few had found solutions. I went to the bug reporting page in launchpad and posted a bug report. This was in the evening and by the next morning I got a response asking for more information, with a pointer to a web page that told me how to get the debugging information needed. I rebooted the live cd and got the requested information and added it to the bug report. I then down loaded ubuntu feisty fawn and had the same problem (thus it is not a problem only with xfce - xubuntu).

Trying out release candidates and providing the developers with information on problems is part of being a member of the community and making contributions to the community's efforts. The processes of filing bug reports is not difficult and is fairly well documented, but the first time is a bit more effort than one would expect. The 'hardest' part is to collect debugging information because it varies with the type of problem encountered. Over all though, if I am going to be reliant on ubuntu, the least I can do is to report problems as I find them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home