Sunday, August 08, 2004

switching between distributions

I am using Fedora, but since it has such a big memmory footprint, I sometimes think about moving to Mandrake or even Susse. TO move from one distro to another is not a big deal from the data aspect. I have all my data files in my home directory and I just have to copy it to another partion which I have set up for backups. All the major applications are included in the major distro's or can be downloaded and installed without much difficulty.

The biggest inconvience is to learn new configuration tools. The actual configuration files are pretty much the same from distibution to distribution, but the tool kits for working with them are different among the distros. Sonce they all work similarly this is not as big a problem as it sounds.

One thing is that the literature is very much geared to Red Hat (i.e. Fedora) so it is a bit harder to learn about how to work with the other distro's utility tools.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home