Monday, July 26, 2004

transition from microsoft to linux - is windows adictive?

I found making the transition from microsoft software to linux software harder due to mental factors more than knowledge or skill factors. My backgrownd in IBM mainframes and Unix boxes gave me the needed Linux skills and knowledges but still I found moving to Linux on the PC difficult.

I had become used to the MS desktop GUI and the MS oriented applications (word, excel, etc.) and the associated shortcuts, workarounds, and so forth. It took a while to get into using CLI scripts and commands instead of gui click and drag proceedures to get stuff done. Overall it took me about 6 months to really break the Microsoft habit, which seems much longer than it should take. This got me to thinking taht there must be pschological factors that tie one to the platform they are using and that these factors may be stronger than the actual knowledges, skills, applications, etc. that are being used.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home